Monday, 12 March 2012

"Transgressive Sexuality/Coming Out Stories"

In today's class we covered the topic of Transgressive Sexuality/Coming Out Stories, where we discussed the power in storytelling, not only for those who are coming out about their sexuality, but for those who have their own personal stories to tell. We read an article called, Trauma, Stress and Resilience Among Sexual Minority Women: Rising Like the Phoenix: Kimberly F. Balsam wherein the author discussed how coming out was much harder for minority women as they already experienced various traumas and cultural victimizations of racism and heterosexism. There were two types of trauma identified in the article, indirect trauma which “occurs when hearing or learning about direct trauma,” insidious trauma which is “the daily ongoing stress associated with living with oppressions such as homophobia, sexism or racism,” and cultural victimization as the “impact of living in a heterosexist culture” (Root, 1992). Something that I found really important was that coming out and telling stories was not simply telling a story it was a form of strength and resilience for these women. They had the ability to decide whether they wanted to tell their story, disclose their sexuality, who to tell and how much they would share. Coming out also acted as a form of healing for the individual sharing their story, as well for those dealing with oppression, by developing strategies to confront oppressive situations. I would have to agree with the presenter today when she said that when one woman develops the courage to tell her story this enables other women to gain the strength to come out with their stories, which creates somewhat of a cycle, allowing these women to be silenced no more.

Although coming out is a form of resilience for these women, I believe that many women do not come out for the fear that they may be ridiculed and for some women killed for the stories that they may tell. This goes for women who may decide to come out about being abused, physically, verbally or sexually. Also, what about women who decide to come out about their sexuality in cultures and countries where homosexuality is not even spoken of, forcing them to remain silent? An example of this would be in South Asian countries where “lesbians” are unheard of and women face the risk of being murdered should they ever disclose such information. This is a violation of their basic human rights as outlined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, of, “everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status” and “everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person” (Universal Declaration of Human Rights).

Comic relief was seen as a way that women could tell their stories and an example used was when talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres disclosed she was a lesbian, however as shown in various clips there could be both negative and positive repercussions. Although a celebrity figure like Ellen coming out seemed easy, I personally feel as though using comedy as a way of coming out for these women, depending on the receiving individual/audience they may not be taken seriously and simply considered to be a joke.

4 comments:

  1. Good Questions. I like in the synopsis when they spoke about how it was hardest for minority females because they have experience with oppression. I have often thought about the similarities between race oppression and homosexuality because the vast improvement with racial tolerance we have seen from decade to decade I see the same types of things happening with homosexuality from milestone to milestone. Although I wouldn't completely compare the two per say for obvious reasons, this makes me believe that ten years down the road homosexual tolerance would have made leaps and bounds as well. As a devote christian I have never advocated for or encouraged homosexuality, however I am both tolerant, and understanding. In regards to coming out, my first thoughts were why come out ? Why not just keep you love life your own, but I can understand how some would see that as hiding, and I thought to myself would I want my child to tell me and the answer is yes. I would prefer to know even if that wasn't what i would have choose for my son or daughter, however not everyone would be as loving and understanding as I.I once worked with a gay male who told a story of coming out to his parents and being kicked out of his house, and basically out of the family, he never spoke to his Dad for years after that, his dad would not accept the fact that his son was gay. Just as they began to speak again and he attempted to fix the relationship with his father who he yearned to have in is life, his father passed, leaving him in a dark place. Which leads me to the question would he have been better off keeping his love life to himself and spending those last years with his father who he loved. Or did he do the right thing in telling him, because he couldn't have possibly known his father would pass suddenly.
    Moving on I believe that Ellen DeGeneres is an iconic homosexual figure. She wasn't a gay celebrity who came out and started making jokes about it. She was a gay comedian who came out and continued to do what she does which is make jokes and it just so happened that it helped to ease the tension. That being said I wouldn't recommend that method for everyone who chooses to come out to the public. What was important about that was that she was able to tell the world her sexual preference and remain the same person she was before i think that is whats overlooked and no i don't think that it was considered a joke just because she used her position as an entertainer to tell the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seemed like it was a very good class, I'm just curious to know the various types of reactions given by your classmates. I know that when a lot of people hear "coming out" they automatically think gays/lesbians, and it becomes somewhat of a touchy subject. It's almost as if being homosexual is a disease. Personally I am a lesbian and I have been for a long time now, but I have not gained the courage to tell many people, except my close friends because to be honest I'm scared of the consequences. I agree with you completely that fear is one of the reasons I would not openly come out to my family, I would definitely be disowned. I too am a devote Christian, however if I come out my very own religion will turn on me, telling me that I'm living a life of sin. My church would either force me out or constantly try and change me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always makes me wonder about the people that don't voice their feelings and opinions. Those people that don't "come out", whether it be about their sexuality, or a deep personal secret that they're holding onto.

    Society makes it so difficult, especially for, but differently for celebrities. Some may think it's easier because they're celebrities, but that may in turn, make it more difficult because they are doing it in front of billions of people; all whom have their opinions about it.

    In response to what "Anonymous" said on March 19; equating your sexual orientation with your faith may be what is holding you back. If you do eventually want to tell people, perhaps separating your faith from your orientation will make it easier. Regardless of what the church says, you can still believe what you want in terms of religion and still be a good person, while being a lesbian. It's up to you in the end, even if you worry about people's opinions, they need to be open to things, just like you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to thank you guys for your comments. I believe each of you has raised really good issues and it’s good to see three different perspectives on this issue. Now while this wasn’t solely about coming out on a homosexual level, coming out also included disclosing personal secrets/stories.
      To address each commenter starting with Devon, I believe that if more people were more tolerant and understanding as you, people in our society would not feel as though they need hide their identities or keep important details of their lives a secret. I agree with you to some extent on whether or not it was best for the individual to keep his love life to himself, so that he could have spent those lost years with his father, but do you think that he would have been truly happy? When a child has something important going on in their lives many times they want to share that with their families. This guy wanted to share this information with his family and for doing just that he created problems with his father. It is this fear of what may happen if she comes out why the second commenter is afraid to disclose her sexuality. To address her comment this was actually a very interesting class we discussed the power that the individuals who come out have, we discussed possible reasons why many people are afraid to come out with their personal stories. You are also very right about the idea of coming out and homosexuality being a touchy subject because I was a presenter in this group and as we prepared for this presentation there were many times that we said, should be really talk about this, is this appropriate for class, do you think people may be offended? So I do feel as though this topic is definitely something people tiptoe on, but hopefully in the future this will be something people will be able to comfortably be able to discuss. For now as the third commenter mentioned, it is society that makes it so difficult for people to tell their personal stories and that people need to be more open. I think that as long as this continues people will constantly live their lives holding back personal stories that are important to them.
      As for celebrities I do agree that Ellen used her talent to make it easier for her to come out, but as the third commenter said celebrities actually may have it harder. Disclosing personal stories for celebrities might be a bit more difficult because they have this high status in society and depending on their story they may lose this status and fans. As a matter of fact when Ellen originally came out she lost so many ratings for her first television show, Ellen that it actually came off the air.
      Although there are negative effects to coming out and disclosing personal stories, it would be nice to hear of people who have experienced positive effects to coming out. I would like to think that our society has not silenced people from disclosing important aspects of their lives.

      Delete